LG has been a well-known brand of appliances and electronics for several decades. With its expansion into mobile phones and electronics in recent years, LG is now a familiar and trusted name for a variety of products in most American households. The South Korean company serves customers worldwide and currently has five different divisions of LG products: Home Appliances, Mobile Communication, Air Conditioning, Home Entertainment, and Energy Solutions – and is considered a leading brand in all categories.
LG first began operation in 1958 with the name Goldstar, producing electronics (such as radios and TV’s) and household appliances. Goldstar soon merged with fellow Korean company, Lucky. Appliances were then sold under the “Lucky” brand name, and electronics kept the “Goldstar” brand label. Eventually, Lucky and Goldstar merged their brand names, and renamed the brand “LG”, as we know it today. In 2005, LG became one of the Top 100 global brands.
While the brand name is fairly new to other markets, the LG company has been producing home appliances for over 50 years. They are the largest seller of home and cooking appliances in the world, producing budget-friendly, mid-range, and high-end models. Currently, the home and cooking appliances manufactured by LG are washing machines, ovens, refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers and vacuum cleaners.
LG Common Appliance Issues and Repairs
LG may be a leading and trusted brand, but as with any brand, this does not mean certain appliances or models are without bugs or problems. It also doesn’t mean that every model associated with bugs will prove to be problematic. However, there are some problems associated with current LG appliances that have proven to be more common than others. The most common problems associated with LG’s current appliances are:
- LG Refrigerator repair – The frost-free and/or cooling components features are the most common problems of LG refrigerators. In most cases, it is the result of a faulty sensor that needs to be replaced. When the sensor does not work, ice can form and freeze around the ice bucket or dispenser. In turn, there have been a number of complaints about the water dispenser not functioning properly, which can require replacing the water line, or an issue with the sensor as mentioned above. Another commonly-noted complaint is that after some time the refrigerator is noisy. This is often the cause of ice build-up in the back of the refrigerator.
- LG Microwave repair – LG microwaves seem to experience the most problems, regardless of model. The most common problem reported is that the microwave stops working entirely after a year or two. This is usually associated with a faulty fuse, which can be replaced.
- LG Washing Machine Repair & LG Drying Machine Repair (clothing): While these products have stood the test of time in general, there have been recent problems associated with them, particularly front-load washers and stackable units. The most common consumer complaint seems to be that after a few years of use, the machines do not perform as well, or not at all. The reasons for this vary, but the most common culprit seems to be an issue with the electronic control panel.
Again, these associated problems do not mean that the brand itself is less reliable than the other leading brands on the market. Technological discoveries and innovations in all brands not only means products have more innovative features, but also means there is more room for something to go wrong. The above is simply a summary of the most common problems of LG home appliances.
LG Appliance Repair
If you experience a malfunction or problem with your LG home appliance while it is still under warranty, you can save yourself the cost of hiring a repair man to fix the issue. However, before you consult with LG, or a local repair service, there are a few simple troubleshooting options that you can try first to save yourself the time and/or cost of repair.
First, you should always consult your owner’s manual. If you cannot locate yours, you can access the manuals online using your model number. The troubleshooting manuals list some common problems and simple fixes. If your problem is not listed, or if the troubleshooting tips do not solve the problem, determine whether you can “zone in” on the problem area.
If your machine is working properly aside from one or two problems, there may just be one single part that needs to be replaced. For example, if your LG refrigerator is not producing as much water as it used to, and you have attempted the troubleshooting options, it is likely that your water valve needs to be replaced. You can order replacement parts through the LG website. Just make sure you have the name and model number.
If you are not sure whether you should call a repair man or not, consult with LG’s customer service. They often have updated information on common problems and further suggestions on troubleshooting and repair.
In cases where the machine has completely stopped working and you cannot identify the problem, you may have to call in a repair technician. When using a technician, make sure you are as detailed as possible regarding when the problem started, and any signs leading up to the malfunction so the technician can check those areas out first.
LG APPLIANCE REPAIR GLENDALE – PLEASE CALL: (800) 520-7059
LG Additional Tips
- Follow the Instructions – Owner’s manuals are written to provide consumers with proper guidelines of product usage and options for troubleshooting. Make sure you care for and operate your machine according to its intended guidelines, and do not ignore any “minor” problems. Minor problems may only end up becoming major problems down the road.
- Take note of the warranty of your machine – both through the store you purchased it from, and LG itself. Many problems can be fixed free of charge if it is still under warranty.
- Don’t get ripped off – If you do have to consult a local repair company, inquire about the itemized price, and whether parts need to be replaced. Labor, of course, does factor into the charges, but in cases where replacement parts are needed you may save a significant amount of money by ordering the parts yourself and having a repair man install them for you.